Tag Archives: Acrocorinth

The Temple of Aphrodite and the Upper Peirene Spring on the Acrocorinth at Corinth

The moral problems among the “saints” of the church of Corinth are well-known.  Writing of days prior to Paul, Strabo said that the Temple of Aphrodite owned one thousand temple–slaves and prostitutes!

Foundational Remains of the Temple of Aphrodite on the Summit of the Acrocorinth

Thus the reputation of Corinth was well–known.  It is not probable that interested persons would climb 1700 feet to the temple of Aphrodite (the goddess of love) to visit a prostitute, but her temple was located there.

The “Fountain House” of the Upper Peirene Spring on the Summit of the Acrocorinth

Besides the several springs (Peirene Fountain, Glauke Fountain, Lerna Spring by the Asclepion) that were located near the site of Corinth itself, there actually was a powerful, not too frequently visited,  spring on the top of the Acrocorinth call the “Upper Peirene Spring.”  The basic remains visible in the image above date to the Hellenistic Period (third to first century BC).

For additional views of the remains of the Temple of Aphrodite Click Here.

For additional views of the Upper Peirene Spring Click Here.

Advertisements

The Acrocorinth

View toward the Acrocorinth

The “Acrocorinth” is the acropolis (citadel) of Corinth.  It is situated to the southwest of the ancient city and rises to an elevation of 1883 ft.  Today it is surrounded by walls that are about 1.8 mi. long.

The Three Gates Guarding the Entrance to the Acrocorinth

The foundations of the fortifications are ancient—going back to the Hellenistic Period.  The current walls were built and rebuilt by the Byzantines, Franks, Venetians, and Ottoman Turks.

To view additional images of the Acrocorinth Click Here.