Just to the northeast of the modern city of Nablus is the small suburb of Askar (New Testament Sychar). It was in the vicinity of Sychar that Jesus met the Samaritan Woman at “Jacob’s Well” (John 4 and especially 4:12).
In 1860 the Greek Orthodox purchased the property and restored the crypt that included the famous 75 ft. deep well. Although the foundation and walls of a church were begun in the 20th century, the church was not completed until 2007.
The image below is the current beautiful interior of the Greek Orthodox Church.
In the image above note the iconostasis and especially the two staircases down to the well. Compare the current state of the church with its prior status pictured above!Tradition has it, that this is the spot where Jesus, at mid-day, met the Samaritan woman who had come to draw water (John 4).