Jason’s tomb is a beautiful funeral monument from the late Hellenistic – early Roman period. It was the tomb of a high priestly family that was forced out of Jerusalem in 172 B.C. (2 Maccabees 5:5-10) by their rival, Menelaus. It was constructed in the second century B.C. and was in use until A.D. 30 (about the time of the crucifixion of Jesus). This tomb was discovered in 1956 and is located in west Jerusalem—in Rehavia. It consists of several courtyards and a “pyramid-shaped” roof.
View looking north into the tomb complex. On this side of the arch is the first of the two courtyards. Beyond the arch is the second court. Note the (reconstructed) pyramid shaped roof.
View looking onto the inner porch of Jason’s Tomb. Clearly visible is the single Doric (a simple Greek architectural style) column built of stone drums. Beyond the column is the inner porch. Note the pyramid shaped roof. The reconstruction is based upon fragments found in the excavations.
View of the northwest corner of the inner (third) courtyard of Jason’s Tomb. The entrance on the left is to the area of 8 shaft graves. On the right of center is the entrance to the chamber in which secondary burials were made. Note the two blocking stones that were used to close these chambers.
For additional information and images of Jason’s Tomb Click Here.