Because of the extensive archaeological excavations in Jerusalem over the last one hundred and fifty years most tour groups to Israel will be introduced to, and ooh and ahh at, archaeological remains from the Second Temple Period—particularly from from the time of Herod the Great (37–4BC).
Some, but not all groups, will visit remains from the First Temple Period at the City of David’s Visitor center—including the water system from that and earlier periods.
However, this past year a new area has been opened up that also displays remains from the First Temple Period (ca. 1000 to 586 B.C.)—including the remains of a Judean Gate, a “Royal Structure,” and reproductions of the large storage jars that were found there.
This area was well excavated by, most recently, Eilat Mazar and its reconstruction and signage are outstanding—including a helpful drawing by Balage Balogh.
The excavation is located in the southeastern corner of Jerusalem Archaeological Park that is south of the Temple Mount. The path to it is now open.
The excavation is also visible from the sidewalk along the road. The remains are clearly visible from that vantage point and photographs from there are good. But due to the traffic and limited space it is difficult to discuss the significance of the area with a large group.
For more images of this area Click Here.